Zagorje ob Savi
|Traditional region||Upper Carniola|
|Statistical region||Central Sava|
|Municipality||Zagorje ob Savi|
|• Total||2.8 km2 (1.1 sq mi)|
|Elevation||269.5 m (884.2 ft)|
Zagorje ob Savi (pronounced [zaˈɡoːɾjɛ ɔp ˈsaːʋi] ⓘ; German: Sagor, Seger an der Sau) is a town in the Central Sava Valley in central Slovenia. It is the seat of the Municipality of Zagorje ob Savi. It is located in the valley of Medija Creek, a minor left tributary of the Sava River, 52 km (32 mi) east of Ljubljana 36 km (22 mi) southwest of Celje, and 6 km (4 mi) west of Trbovlje. The area is part of the traditional region of Upper Carniola. The entire municipality is now included in the Central Sava Statistical Region. The town is home to about 7,000 people. It includes the hamlets of Toplice (German: Töplitz) and Podvine.
Zagorje ob Savi was attested in written sources as Zagorie in 1296, Zagoͤr in 1311, Sager in 1362, Sagor in 1391, and Seger in 1419, among other spellings. The name of the settlement was changed from Zagorje to Zagorje ob Savi in 1955. In the early 20th century the German name was Sagor.
Archaeological evidence shows that the area was already settled in the Late Bronze Age and Iron Age. In 1755 deposits of coal were discovered in the area and the town's economic development began. Coal mining was one of the area's main activities until 1995, when the last mines were closed. In 2010, Zagorje ob Savi was heavily affected by floods.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Leksikon občin kraljestev in dežel zastopanih v državnem zboru, vol. 6: Kranjsko. 1906. Vienna: C. Kr. Dvorna in Državna Tiskarna, p. 96.
- Wissenskulturen des Subterranen: Vermittler im Spannungsfeld zwischen Wissenschaft und Öffentlichkeit Ein biografisches Lexikon
- Zagorje ob Savi municipal site
- Savnik, Roman (1976). Krajevni leksikon Slovenije, vol. 3. Ljubljana: Državna založba Slovenije. pp. 462–464.
- "Zagorje ob Savi". Slovenska historična topografija. ZRC SAZU Zgodovinski inštitut Milka Kosa. Retrieved December 23, 2021.
- Zagorje ob Savi municipal site: Zagorje nekoč (in Slovene)
- Spremembe naselij 1948–95. 1996. Database. Ljubljana: Geografski inštitut ZRC SAZU, DZS.
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 14622 & 14623
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage reference number ešd 2690